This is an analysis of the poem On A Friend's Escape From Drowning Off The Norfolk Coast that begins with:
Came up that cold sea at Cromer like a running grave
Beside him as he struck...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abababcdcdeffggehfhhihiee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 25,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111111010101 011111 100101101001 111111 111011000101111 10111 10110011111 0101001 10011110011 10101011 110101101011 101011 10111101011 11001 101001100111 0001010 111100101011 11110101 1111010110011 1101 001011110111 1101 111111010111 1111 11001010101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 960
- Average number of words per stanza: 186
- Amount of lines: 25
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; him, his are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of On A Friend's Escape From Drowning Off The Norfolk Coast;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by George Barker
- Analysis of In Memory Of David Archer (Liv)
- Analysis of O Child Beside The Waterfall
- Analysis of At Thurgarton Church