This is an analysis of the poem When Heaving On The Stormy Waters that begins with:
When, heaving on the stormy waters,
I felt my ship beneath to sink,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Xaba cdXX beXe cfff fgbg dhdh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110101010 11110101 1110101011 01111101 1010111010 010001010 010101110 1101110100 010111111 00010101 110101010 10011111 110101110 11110101 010111010 11010101 111101010 10110101 101101111 11111101 010111010 11010101 1011100110 11111111
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 143
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words i, and are repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of When Heaving On The Stormy Waters;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.