This is an analysis of the poem Ultimum that begins with:
Now in these last spent drops, slow, slower shed,
Love dies, Love dies, Love dies--ah, Love is dead!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXbbccdadabbbbaa ccccebaafgfg ccbbhhhhiijjeeaaeXddXXhh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 17,12,24,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1011111101 1111111101 1101110100 1101110111 1101101101 0111100111 1110111111 1101110101 1101110101 11110111001 101101110111 1011010111 11110111110 1111010 1111110100 1101011101 1101111101 1111111101 0111111110 1111111111 111101111001 11011011101 1001010011 0100010100 1101110101 0111111111 1111111101 1101010101 1011110111 11011101 11010101 1111101111 0011110101 1111010100 1101010101 0111110111 0111011101 1111110111 0111010111 0101110111 1001010111 0110010011 010101100101 110100001001 11011010111 0100101011 1001100100 1001011101 1101010101 1001011110 1111011111 0111010101 1101110101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 799
- Average number of words per stanza: 149
- Amount of lines: 53
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; love, in, dies, and, that, for, still, not are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words nor, and, beyond are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Ultimum;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.