This is an analysis of the poem Sleep Of A University that begins with:
WATCHING through the long, dim hours
Like statued Mithras, stand ironic towers; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbcc XXaaddee ffaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,8,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 10101110 11010101010 11010111 1101110011 11010011 10110010111 0101010101 100101000111 1001010101 101100100101 11010101 1110010101 01110101 10011100101 01111101 01010001001 110101010 110101001010
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 258
- Average number of words per stanza: 42
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sleep Of A University;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.