This is an analysis of the poem The Goddess Contributed To The Fair For The Ladies Patriotic Fund Of The Pacific that begins with:
'Who comes?' The sentry`s warning cry
Rings sharply on the evening air:... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme:
- Stanza lengths (in strings):
- Closest metre:
- Сlosest rhyme:
- Сlosest stanza type:
- Guessed form:
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 131
- Average number of words per stanza: 25
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; in is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word a is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Goddess Contributed To The Fair For The Ladies Patriotic Fund Of The Pacific;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Francis Bret Harte
- Analysis of The Hawk's Nest
- Analysis of The Personified Sentimental
- Analysis of The Return Of Belisarius