This is an analysis of the poem Crotalus [rattlesnake Bar, Sierras] that begins with:
No life in earth, or air, or sky;
The sunbeams, broken silently, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aba ccc ccc ddd eeX ccc fff ggX hhh iii ccc jjj ggg aba XkkXjjj
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,7,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11011111 01010100 10110111 11011101 11011101 01111101 100110101 01010101 11011101 11110011 11110111 010010101 01101111 00110111 01010101 01111001 10110101 11011101 010101001 11011101 11011111 011110101 11011101 01011100 11111101 11010101 01111101 11011111 11111111 100001001 11011101 10010001 10111111 11110001 110011111 11011111 10110111 11110101 011101011 00111100 11010100 11011111 01110 11110010101 10110111 10110111 11111111 01100001
- Amount of stanzas: 16
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 111
- Average number of words per stanza: 20
- Amount of lines: 49
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; thee is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words a, the, and, of are repeated.
The author used the same words the, and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Crotalus [rattlesnake Bar, Sierras];
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.