This is an analysis of the poem If my life of bitter torment and of tears that begins with:
‘Se la mia vita da l'aspro tormento'
If my life of bitter torment and of tears...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X aXaabaXXXaabXa X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,14,1,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111010110100 01101001101 10010111110 111111001100 100110011001 1010111110 10101011011 1010011111 10110110 111111100 1101011100 0011101110 10100101010 01111111011 1111011 0101011
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 221
- Average number of words per stanza: 42
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of If my life of bitter torment and of tears;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Francesco Petrarch
- Analysis of When from hour to hour among the other ladies
- Analysis of My weary eyes, there, while I turn you
- Analysis of I turn back at every step I take