This is an analysis of the poem Greed and sleep and slothful beds that begins with:
‘La gola e 'l sonno et l'otïose piume'
Greed and sleep and slothful beds...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X XabXcbXXXXbabXXc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,16,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110111011010 1111101 11010010001 11101110 110111101 110011010 101101111 1111001101 010101011010 10101101110 111011000 101011110 11110011101 11011111010 1010111010 0101011
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 201
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Greed and sleep and slothful beds;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Francesco Petrarch
- Analysis of At the foot of the hill where beauty's garment
- Analysis of When the heavenly body that tells the hours
- Analysis of Glorious pillar in whom rests