This is an analysis of the poem The Crocuses that begins with:
They heard the South wind sighing
A murmur of the rain;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab acaX Xcbc dbeb Xfef egbg XcXc dhbh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1101110 010001 11111110 010101 10111010 010101 1111110 010111 10101110 110101 101001010 110001 10100010 0100101 11101111 010101 10101010 100101 110101101 110101 10101010 011111 10111010 010001 10111010 010111 10101011 110101 11111110 110101 11101010 010011
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 120
- Average number of words per stanza: 22
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to is repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase first connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Crocuses;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Frances Ellen Watkins Harper
- Analysis of Aunt Chloe's Politics
- Analysis of The Slave Mother
- Analysis of Death Of The Old Sea King