This is an analysis of the poem Maceo that begins with:
Maceo dead! a thrill of sorrow
Through our hearts in sadness ran ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcb defe dgeg hihi dbjb ckjk afXf jl Xl eehe XeXe alhl miki jbjb mhXh jnXn
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,2,2,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10101010 1110101 11101110 1011101 11110010 0110001 10111110 00110001 10101010 1000101 1011011 1010101 00101011 1010011 00101011 1010101 10111010 1010101 10101010 1110101 10101010 1111101 10111010 1110111 10101010 1011111 10101110 0111101 10111010 11101001 10101100 10011101 10111010 1110101 10101010 1011101 10101010 1010101 11111110 1110101 10111010 0110101 11001010 1010101 11101110 1010111 10111110 1010101 10101010 101101 10101010 0111101 11111110 1010101 10101010 1111111 10111010 111101 11101010 1110111
- Amount of stanzas: 16
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 125
- Average number of words per stanza: 23
- Amount of lines: 60
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his, of, and, to, peace are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word peace is repeated.
The author used the same words must, when at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase peace connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Maceo;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.