This is an analysis of the poem A Double Standard that begins with:
Do you blame me that I loved him?
If when standing all alone... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Abcb Aded dfgf cchc dcac fbXb daca Xabb Xdbd fici ebab bhgh cbfb ihXh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11111111 0110101 11110101 101101 11111111 1111111 111100101 111101 111111011 010101 01011101 010101 111111111 010101 11110101 111101 111111101 110101 01010111 110101 111010011 110101 111100001 110111 11111101 110101 11010111 111101 111101101 110101 11110111 110101 11110010 010011 01011101 110101 11111101 110101 01111101 111101 01111111 111111 01011111 111101 11010111 010101 11010011 010101 11111111 111111 11010001 111101 11011101 010001 11010101 011001
- Amount of stanzas: 14
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 124
- Average number of words per stanza: 25
- Amount of lines: 56
- Average number of symbols per line: 30 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; me, in are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
The author used the same words do, can, would at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Double Standard;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.