This is an analysis of the poem Ballade that begins with:
I know flies in milk
I know the man by his clothes...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabXcdeF gbXbdhbF bebXcghF abbF Xb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,4,2,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11101 1101101 1111001 11010101 110111101 111101 11110111 11101111 11011010 1101101 110101010 1101101 1110100101 1111111 11011010 11101111 1101101 11111110 1110011 11011111 111111 11010010 1101001 11101111 11111 110101101 11110101 11101111 111010
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 171
- Average number of words per stanza: 36
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, know, by, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word i is repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word myself at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Ballade;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.