This is an analysis of the poem The Joy Of Mechanical Force that begins with:
We have been up all night, my friends and I, beneath mosque lamps whose copper domes, as open-worked as our souls, yet had electric hearts. And while...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X a b a X X X X X a X X b c c a X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110111111101111101110111111010111111101001001010110101000101001011010100011 0111011010110011110101110010010011101001001001000010101011010011011000110001101001001100100110101 11010011010010101100100110010110011100010001100110100001010101100111101 1010111110000101001011101010100100011001010010101101110 1011111111101001010011001111001001111110110111101010101010111100100111101011010010011110010110001001 1010110010111111111010110110001010101100101110110 011010110011111010100101111011110101010110011101001111111010111 11010101101001110011011010100111100101 1111101101101110101010110100010111001101001001010111010 11110011101101010010101101010100100101010111001100010111110100101010111001001010 110101010100111101111000110011110100010111011100010100101000 1111111100011100101001010111111101001010010011110101110100100101100011011101101111010011110001 1100111010101001110110110110101011011011 111010101001101110010100111 010100110100011001001010010110011101110101011111110111001101001001110101001011010010 1110111101000100110110011101011011010101 1110100100110110111011100110011100101010101001011000101011101010111
- Amount of stanzas: 17
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 260
- Average number of words per stanza: 46
- Amount of lines: 17
- Average number of symbols per line: 260 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 46
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, in, we, to, our, with, alone, that, as, us, ', first, i, like, me, on, into, its, my, ditch, it are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Joy Of Mechanical Force;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.