This is an analysis of the poem The Farewell To The Dead that begins with:
Come near!-ere yet the dust
Soil the bright paleness of the settled brow,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbaaa cddc aa eXfeaa fggfaa addaaa hcchaa accaaaXfaafaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,4,2,6,6,6,6,13,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 111101 10110000101 1111010111 011101 1111110101 1011111001 111011 1101000111 1001011101 1000111 1101011101 1111010001 111001 1101110101 1101010011 111101 10011010101 1111010101 111111 1111010101 1111010101 010101 11111101101 11111001001 110101 1101110101 01110101001 010101 0111110111 1111010101 111011 0100010101 1111010101 111111 1111010101 1111010001 010111 0101010111 1111011101 101101 1111010101 11110111001 111111 11010101101 0111111111 010101 10110101011 1101000101
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 210
- Average number of words per stanza: 40
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his, him, not are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word rest at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Farewell To The Dead;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.