This is an analysis of the poem City That Does Not Sleep that begins with:
In the sky there is nobody asleep. Nobody, nobody.
Nobody is asleep....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aBcdefec aBgchXi jXkXiccfc hcgec hkgljdmXXglllf alcbcfmXXleiic
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,7,9,5,14,14,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 0011011101111111 111001 01000111101110 0100100111011111 10111010010100110 110 010100101010010100100 1 11100111111111 111001 0011111001 111110 01001101101 111110010111 0110100110101110 10101101010 1110101001011 11100110010010001 10 11000110111101 10110111 0010011 10100110111010 10100010101001010 11 010010001 10011 010110101111000 101 0101 1010011011001 1110101001101101 10111111001011 10010010 01111100110101 11111011110100010 001 1111101011001101 1110000110010101 110 1011110 101011001010 101001011100100110 111010001111111 111010 0111101 01101 1100110101 1101110 110100011111 111001 11010 101111111010100 1 10011011110011 01010101010100100
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 334
- Average number of words per stanza: 63
- Amount of lines: 56
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; nobody, careful, and, one, no are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, nobody, and, where are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines waiting is repeated).
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase nobody connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of City That Does Not Sleep;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.