This is an analysis of the poem Peace Upon Earth that begins with:
Under the sky of battle, under the arch of the guns,
Where in a mad red torrent the river of fighting runs.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccaX ddeef fgg hhaaddcc ddiiXiibb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,5,3,8,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10010101001001 10011100100101 101001111110101 1010010101100101 100100101101001 11110010101110 101111100101111 1111011111110111 10110110100111 010011110111011 110010010111001 111110101010101 111111111011001 11111001010010111 1010110101111111 1011111111011101 11101000110111001 111101010101111 100110101001011 0100101011001001 1111100101100111 10101111011100101 10110101001101111 11110100111101 1111010101111 10111110101011 11110101011101 11011110110101 1001010100101 100101110101101 1100101101001010 1111001011110010
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 338
- Average number of words per stanza: 67
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 63 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 13
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, old, with, god, that, to, be are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words where, god are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Peace Upon Earth;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.