This is an analysis of the poem The Dream-Ship that begins with:
When the world is fast asleep,
Along the midnight skies--... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabA Xcbc bDcD dbeb faXa Xbab cghg Xihi afge hafAXaDcD
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1010101 010111 110001001 010111 110110111 1101101 1110110111 0011101 01010101 101111 101000101 100101 01111111 111111 11110100 111101 11111101 111101 11100101 1100110 11110111 011111 100100111 110101 01010011 010101 11011101 010101 01100100 010001 01011101 011111 11010101 111111 11010101 111100 11010001 010101 11000101 010111 11001101 101111 111000101 100101
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 130
- Average number of words per stanza: 24
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; stands, at, angel, and, dreams, some, of are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words an, and, the are repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Dream-Ship;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.