This is an analysis of the poem Beranger's My Last Song Perhaps (January 1814) that begins with:
When, to despoil my native France,
With flaming torch and cruel sword... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcbXded dfcfbdXX dbbbcdfd fcXcbdbdXfaeacdfd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,17,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 10101101 01011101 110010101 11110101 11010100 01010101 11000101 11011001 110011101 11011101 11010101 11110001 11011101 110100101 10010111 1011100010 11000111 111000101 11010111 01010111 11001101 00010111 11111111 11010001 11110101 11010101 11100101 11011101 11011111 11110101 11011101 11110001 01011101 11111101 11011101 01000101 11011101 11110101 11111101 01110001
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 286
- Average number of words per stanza: 53
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, my are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word foe at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Beranger's My Last Song Perhaps (January 1814);
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.