This is an analysis of the poem Friend In The Desolate Time that begins with:
Friend, in the desolate time, when your soul is enshrouded in darkness
When, in a deep abyss, memory and feeling die out,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXXXbXXbbXaaaXXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 16,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10010011110010010 10010110011011 101100100110011010 1111011001001 101110101010110 11010011101011 11111110010010 10110111011001 101111001010010 1011001100101 11010010110010010 10110111001011 110101110100010 10110011111001 110111110010010 10010011001001
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 986
- Average number of words per stanza: 168
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 61 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; in, of are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Friend In The Desolate Time;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.