This is an analysis of the poem Sympathy that begins with:
Therefore I dare reveal my private woe,
The secret blots of my imperfect heart, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbabaabcdcdXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: sonnet with iambic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 1111011101 0101010101 1101111110 1101111011 1101111101 1101010111 0111010101 10101111101 1101010111 1011011101 10110110011 10010001111 0101111101 101010101010
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 597
- Average number of words per stanza: 107
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; nor, i, my are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words nor, here are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sympathy;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.