This is an analysis of the poem When You Go Away that begins with:
When you go away, my friend,
When you say your last good-bye, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cbcb dede fgfg ahdh ibib
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1110111 1111101 1010101 1010001 10111010 1011101 10011010 1011101 1110011 1110101 1010101 1110101 10101010 1110101 10101010 1010101 1110111 1111101 1011101 1010101 10101010 1011111 10101010 1111111
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 126
- Average number of words per stanza: 24
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words when, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of When You Go Away;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.