This is an analysis of the poem Then And Now that begins with:
A little time agone, a few brief years,
And there was peace within our beauteous borders;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaabb acacddddX adadddee Xcffghh aXffbai ijjaadbgdgkk
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,9,8,7,7,12,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 0101100110 11110111010 11010010111 0110010 1011010011000101 110100110101011 11011101110 11111100101 11010101110 110111 11111000111 1101111101 0111010011 10010101001 11011101010011001 11010011110 1111110111 11010111010 010111 0111010111 1111010101 0101010101 1111111101 10010111011111 1111010111110111 1111110111 11110110001 010101010101011010 0101000111 1011110101 10110110010010101 0101001101100101 11010101001 11001010111 0101010101010001 1011010101010101 0111110101 1111 10011101001 1001011111 1111000101 110111 1101010101010101 10110111001 0111110101110 1001011101 11010100010 0101001 110101001101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 392
- Average number of words per stanza: 72
- Amount of lines: 54
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, on, you, their, of, from are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Then And Now;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.