This is an analysis of the poem The Wish that begins with:
Should some great angel say to me to-morrow,
“Thou must re-tread thy pathway from the start, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11110101010 1111111001 11010101110 1111010011 00110111010 1011010101 11111101110 1101010111
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 187
- Average number of words per stanza: 36
- Amount of lines: 8
- Average number of symbols per line: 46 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; thy, to, my are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Wish;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.