This is an analysis of the poem The Temperance Army that begins with:
Though you see no banded army,
Though you hear no cannons rattle,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcbccc ddcdeeX XfgfbbX ffafhhh gcdciii Xjjjiii cbabeee Xfdadccc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,7,7,7,7,7,7,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11111010 11111010 11001010 11100110 1111111 1110101 1111111 01111110 01111110 11100110 10101110 0010011 1111111 11110101 11101110 10111011 11111010 01101111 1010101 1010111 0110111 11111001 11111111 11101010 11101111 1010111 1001011 1011111 11111010 11111110 11101110 11101110 1001111 1011111 0000101 11101010 00101010 11111010 00101010 1110111 1110101 1010111 001010010 11111010 11101010 10100010 0110101 1110101 11111001 11111011 10101010 10101010 11111110 10011111 1110111 1110111
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 226
- Average number of words per stanza: 45
- Amount of lines: 63
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, we, us, you, though are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words though, we, if, you are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines us is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Temperance Army;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.