This is an analysis of the poem Smiles that begins with:
Smile a little, smile a little,
As you go along, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Abcbbded AfXfghXh icicegAg XiXiXiAi
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10101010 11101 10111010 11111 10101110 10111 10101010 10101 10101010 10101 100111010 100101 11101110 01101 11111010 10101 10101010 11111 11111110 11101 11101110 10101 10101010 10101 10110111 11111 10111110 11101 11101110 00100 10101010 10111
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 233
- Average number of words per stanza: 43
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Smiles;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.