This is an analysis of the poem Only Dreams that begins with:
A maiden sat in teh sunset glow
Of the shadowy, beautiful Long Ago, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabccbbb ddeeeeff gghddhcc ggghhgcc cchdheeXcceddecc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,16,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 010101111 00100100101 11110101 11110101 010110101 00100100 110110111 1010110101 1010100101 1100100101 0011101 1010101101 010010101 1100101 110101101001 110010101 1010100101 101011111 110111 110101101 011010111 1110101 1110100111 10100101101 1010100101 111011101 111111 1110101101 00010011 111111 110111111 111010001 111110101 101111101 0110101 111011101 1110111 0111101101 1010101001 011110111 0110100111 1110101 0100100111 1010101111 1100101 101011101 1111110101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 300
- Average number of words per stanza: 57
- Amount of lines: 47
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; there, of, and, i are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words there, and, the are repeated.
The author used the same word there at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Only Dreams;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.