This is an analysis of the poem My Ships that begins with:
If all the ships I have at sea
Should come a-sailing home to me, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aAbbaa aaccaa aAddaa aabbaa aaXXaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01011111 11010101 01011101 11010111 11011110 01111001 01111101 11110101 11111111 11011101 11010110 0111111 01111111 11010101 11011111 10010111 111111110 01111101 01110111 11010101 11011101 01010101 010111110 01111101 11011111 11111101 10110110 01011101 11011101 11111101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 213
- Average number of words per stanza: 44
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word if is repeated.
The author used the same word if at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines sea is repeated).
The poet repeated the same words sea, me at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of My Ships;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.