This is an analysis of the poem Let Me Lean Hard that begins with:
Let me lean hard upon the Eternal Breast;
In all earth's devious ways, I sought for rest... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbaaC ddeeXXC ffeeaaC
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,7,7,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11110100101 01110011111 1101100111 1101111011 11001100101 1111111111 1111 11110100101 1110111111 0101011101 0101111111 1101011101 11011101110 1111 11110111001 1101010111 1110010011 1110011111 1111011101 1111011101 1111
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 276
- Average number of words per stanza: 55
- Amount of lines: 23
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, me are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, the are repeated.
The author used the same word let at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word hard at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Let Me Lean Hard;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.