This is an analysis of the poem Father that begins with:
He never made a fortune, or a noise
In the world where men are seeking after fame; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaccbd ececccd fgfccgd chcaahd ijiiijjd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,7,7,7,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1101010101 00111110101 11101010111 1101011111 111110101 11111011101 10 1100010101 01101011111 10111010101 1010111101 11101011100 11101010101 01010 1101010011 11101010001 1100010101 1110110011 11101110101 11101010011 010 1101110101 11101010101 11101010001 00100110111 11111111001 10101110101 10 11101010101 00101010001 10111010101 10111010101 10101111101 10101010111 10101110101 1110
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 293
- Average number of words per stanza: 55
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; he, and, his are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word he is repeated.
The author used the same word he at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word father at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Father;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.