This is an analysis of the poem A Woman's Shortcomings that begins with:
She has laughed as softly as if she sighed,
She has counted six, and over,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcXcd ededfXfd fXfbXdXd gegeXdXd hihijXjd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111101011 11101110 0011110111 1101010 110010010111 10111010 1010100111 1111010 1100100101 101001010 0011110111 001110110 110100101 1111000 10101111001 1111010 110100101 11010010 111101101 101010110 110001101 11011010 111101100 1111010 0111110101 110010010 011111111 1111101 011111100101 111001110 01111101110 1101010 0111100111 10101111 0111110101 001010011 0111110101 110011000 0111110101 1101010
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 306
- Average number of words per stanza: 57
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; she, her, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word she is repeated.
The author used the same words she, unless at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word loving at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Woman's Shortcomings;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.