This is an analysis of the poem Black Bess that begins with:
TURPIN had his Black Bess, and she carried him well,
As fame with her loud-breathing trumpet will tell; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXbccdd cceeddXX ffggddhh iijjaaee ccggbbkk ffcccceX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 101011111011 11001101001 11101111011 011011111010 11011011001 111001111001 111101001101 111011101011 11011111001 11011001011 101101111101 101101001011 01011011001 01101011111 1111101011101 111111001011 01011101011 11101111101 11001101011 101011011001 11101111011 011011011001 01001111001 011111011111 11001111001 0110001111001 11011111011 101101101111 01101011101 1100100101 101011010101 011101101011 101001001011 011101011011 101001001000 001101011001 1011110010110 1010110010110 111111011111 101111011001 11101101001 11001101001 010100001001 101011101001 001101001101 111101101111 01101111001 101011011011
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 409
- Average number of words per stanza: 81
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 50 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; she, on, and, to, her are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words she, the, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Black Bess;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.