This is an analysis of the poem The Old King's New Jester that begins with:
You that in vain would front the coming order
With eyes that meet forlornly what they must, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcbddbdb deXeccdcd Xbfbaaeae afXfggbgb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 9,9,9,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11011101010 0111100111 11000101010 111101 01110110110 0101110 101111 01110111010 101111 10011111110 1101110111 01000101010 010111 11011001010 0100010 111101 11011110010 101101 10011111010 10110011001 111100111011 101111 11110101110 1111010 01001111111 10011111010 111101 00111101010 1111111111 111110010100 101101 11110011010 1101010 01011000100 11111111010 010110
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 335
- Average number of words per stanza: 61
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; your, we, us, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word for is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Old King's New Jester;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.