This is an analysis of the poem John Gorham that begins with:
“Tell me what you’re doing over here, John Gorham,
Sighing hard and seeming to be sorry when you’re not; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbb Xcdc aefe ddXd agcg fhdh accc ibdb abibXdghg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111110101110 1011100010111 1111111111100011 101110101011101 1101011101010 111110101010101 1101011111110 101110101111101 111110011110 111011101110101 110011011111110 11110111111001 1101110101110 11010100110111 110101000111010 11111101010101 101011111110 1110111011111 10110010101011 101011011010101 111001101110 1010101010001 111001001110 1011111111111 111011101110 1110101110101 111111000101011 10111101111001 111010010110 1110111010101 10101110001110 111010101010101 111011111110 1010100111101 11011001001101010 011110100110101 1101110101110 111110111011111 1110101010111010 111111101010101
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 223
- Average number of words per stanza: 48
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 55 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 12
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; me, you, i, to, as, ll, him are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of John Gorham;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.