This is an analysis of the poem A Canadian Reply that begins with:
IF ancient England nobly sing,
We hearken to the song.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaab cbX de debfb f Xghg dXdh i hihdc dc fjf jdkdk lllle beb kk kkXdbXd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,3,2,5,1,4,4,1,5,2,3,5,5,3,2,7,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01010101 110001 01110101 010101 01011101 010101 110100101 1101011 1010111 110101 01010101 011101 1110101 011101 010100101 010101 110111001 111101 01110101 110101 01011101 010001 11110101 110111 01010101 011101 11110111 010101 11111101 010101 11010011 010101 10011111 110101 11010101 110101 11110101 010101 11110001 011111 10010101 110111 01011101 110101 11011101 01001001 11010101 110101 11010101 110101 11010101 111101 11011101 0100101 10010101 110101
- Amount of stanzas: 17
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 106
- Average number of words per stanza: 19
- Amount of lines: 56
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; from, to, of are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words but, from, must are repeated.
The author used the same words if, from at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Canadian Reply;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.