This is an analysis of the poem Christmas Hymn that begins with:
O Christ, on this thy natal day,
As oft before, we fain would pray;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaabbcc ddaaeedd eeeeccaa eXeeddaX ffgghhgg aaiijjjj
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11101011 11011111 11010101 11010111 010010101 01110101 11011111 01110101 110101001 010010101 11111111 11010101 110010111 10011101 11111101 01011101 1110111 01010101 010100101 11111101 11010101 11010001 11110101 01110011 11011101 11010111 110111010 010101010 01110101 01111111 10111011 01010100 11011101 11110101 11110111 010100101 11010101 01011101 01011101 01010001 111011001 01110111 01111101 1100101001 11010101 01000101 11001101 01010011
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 272
- Average number of words per stanza: 51
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word of is repeated.
The author used the same word oh at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Christmas Hymn;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.