This is an analysis of the poem In times of discouragement that begins with:
Night blackens to the core. Poet, awake!
The worst, the darkest hour of your heart's ache...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabccXb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1100011001 01010100111 01 1111010111 1101111101 1111010101 1101000101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 278
- Average number of words per stanza: 50
- Amount of lines: 7
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of In times of discouragement;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.