This is an analysis of the poem Sorrow that begins with:
Sorrow like a ceaseless rain
Beats upon my heart....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXaab acaaac
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1010101 10111 10111010 1010101 0110111 10111 1011101 11011 1111111 1011101 1010111 11111
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 176
- Average number of words per stanza: 32
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; or is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sorrow;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay
- Analysis of Wild Swans
- Analysis of I Do But Ask That You Be Always Fair
- Analysis of The Little Ghost