This is an analysis of the poem Vies Manquees that begins with:
A YEAR ago we walked the wood--
A year ago to-day; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd Xeae fbfb dcdc baba bgbg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 01011101 010101 01010101 1001101 11010111 111101 01010111 110101 011101100 1101101 11010001 010111 11010001 110101 11111111 111101 01110111 010111 11011101 0101101 01010101 110101 11010101 111101 11010111 1100101 11111111 111111
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 128
- Average number of words per stanza: 24
- Amount of lines: 34
- Average number of symbols per line: 26 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, too, much, again are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word a is repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase again connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Vies Manquees;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.