This is an analysis of the poem The Things That Matter that begins with:
NOW that I've nearly done my days,
And grown too stiff to sweep or sew,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdcd eeeeacac afafghgh ececdcdc ijijkkkk elelfefeXeaeabkbk
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,17,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11110111 11110111 11111001 01110111 11111111 11011001 11011111 01011101 11111101 11111101 01011101 11011111 110001111 11011101 110111001 11011101 11010111 11010001 11011111 11010101 01010101 01010101 01011101 11010101 10010101 100101001 10010111 01111101 11010101 11111011 101111001 10110101 11100101 01011101 11110111 10110111 10010101 11110101 11111101 11010111 11011111 11011111 11111001 01010111 11010101 01011101 11011111 11010101 01011101 11110101 11010011 01010101 11111101 11011011 11011101 11110101
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 284
- Average number of words per stanza: 59
- Amount of lines: 56
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, what, your, of, whether, to, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words what, the, whether, i, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Things That Matter;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.