This is an analysis of the poem The Last Betrayal that begins with:
AND I shall lie alone at last,
Clear of the stream that ran so fast,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabXXb ccdeed
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11110111 10011111 110101011 10110101 111001001 1111010101 10110111 01110011 01011101 110100101 110111111 1111111111
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 237
- Average number of words per stanza: 45
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, this are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, this are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Last Betrayal;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.