This is an analysis of the poem Song Of Long Ago that begins with:
LONG ago, long ago,
When the hawthorn buds were pearly ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbaccaaadA aeeaddaffdA
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 11,11,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101101 10111010 10111110 1011101 1110001 1110101 1010111 1010111 1011111 10111111 101 101101 10111010 10111110 1010101 0010111 1110111 1011011 1111101 10010000 10111111 101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 332
- Average number of words per stanza: 60
- Amount of lines: 22
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; long, ago, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words long, and are repeated.
The author used the same word long at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines ago is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word ago at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Song Of Long Ago;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.