This is an analysis of the poem Prayer In Time Of War that begins with:
Now Death is near, and very near,
In this wild whirl of horror and fear,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbcC ddeecC ffggcC hhcccC
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11011101 001101011 11010011 10110101 11111101 11011101 11011101 11110111 010111110 100111010 101111101 11011101 11111101 11100110 11111111 11110101 111101101 11011101 1001001001 11010101 11011110 01110001 10111101 11011101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 212
- Average number of words per stanza: 43
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, to, our, life are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word pray at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Prayer In Time Of War;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.