This is an analysis of the poem On The Downs that begins with:
THE little moon is dead,
Drowned in the flood of rain ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababa aaaaa bcbcb ddddd efefe
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,5,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 010101 100101 11010111 110001 010111111111 0110001 101101 11010101 010101 110101010101 110101 110111 01011111 110101 110111110101 110111 100111 10110111 011111 11101010010101 011101 010101 00110101 010101 0111010110111
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 182
- Average number of words per stanza: 32
- Amount of lines: 29
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of On The Downs;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.