This is an analysis of the poem January that begins with:
WHILE yet the air is keen, and no bird sings,
Nor any vaguest thrills of heart declare ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbaabba cdecde
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: sonnet with iambic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 1101011111 1101010101 0100011001 1011010101 0111010101 1101110001 0101110111 11011101001 1111110001 0111111111 0111010101 0101110111 0111010011 01010111101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 314
- Average number of words per stanza: 56
- Amount of lines: 15
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of January;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.