This is an analysis of the poem Discretion that begins with:
AH, turn your pretty eyes away!
You would not have me love again? ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababb Xcdcc eceff ababb gagaa Xcdcdd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,5,6,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11110101 11111101 11011101 010011 1111001 11111111 01010111 10110111 101111 111111 11110101 11111111 11100111 110100 110110 11111111 01110101 01111111 111101 111101 11010111 11010101 010100101 111101 011101 11011111 10101011 11110101 111001 111101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 163
- Average number of words per stanza: 32
- Amount of lines: 35
- Average number of symbols per line: 27 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Discretion;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.