This is an analysis of the poem The Cut-Down Trousers that begins with:
When father couldn't wear them mother cut them down for me;
She took the slack in fore and aft, and hemmed them at the knee;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabb ccbb bbddXaaabb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,10,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11010101010111 11010111110101 11010101011111 001010101101101 11110101111101 101010101010011 1111111011100101 101010101101101 1010101100100111 111010100111101 111010101011111 11111101111101 111010101110111 101010101010111 10111011101111 1 111101101110101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 253
- Average number of words per stanza: 47
- Amount of lines: 17
- Average number of symbols per line: 59 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; them, and, me are repeated.
The author used the same word they at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines me is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word had at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of The Cut-Down Trousers;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.