This is an analysis of the poem Cornered that begins with:
I KNEW it was comin', I'd watched fer a year
Without sayin' a word to a soul excep' Ma ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXaXXbcb dedeabab dfdfcbcX fgfgfbfb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11011011101 011001001101 001111101001 11101101001 11111111011 101011011101 11011010101 11101111101 11111101101 101011101101 11101111011 11111001011 111111111011 11111011101 11011111011 10111011101 11110100111 101011111101 111011111011 111101001011 11011101111 111111111001 111010111001 11111111101 11011011111 011111011101 11111000101 11111101001 111001111111 101111101001 1101111111 11101011011
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 383
- Average number of words per stanza: 79
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 47 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, he, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word i is repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word hand at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Cornered;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.