This is an analysis of the poem How Shall My Animal that begins with:
How shall my animal
Whose wizard shape I trace in the cavernous skull,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaabbbaccc Xcdcaadbaab Xeefeaffece edbgXgdgddd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 11,11,11,11,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111100 110111001001 100100110001 01100100101 001101101001 110100 1101011011101 101010 001110 010010000101 110011 110100 010101001111 110101111001 011001100101 010011010001 111111 01110110111 011101 010110 100111011100 011101 100010 111101101111 0100011100101 111001100101 1111001000111 110100 1011010010111 0111011 110111 101101010011 1101101 111111 1111101110101 1101001110101 0111110100101 11011001010011 1101001 101101010101 110011 111111 1110011110101 1111011
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 462
- Average number of words per stanza: 84
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
The author used the same word how at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of How Shall My Animal;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.