This is an analysis of the poem Before I Knocked that begins with:
Before I knocked and flesh let enter,
With liquid hands tapped on the womb,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababab ababab acacaX adadad aeaeae adadad afafafXabab
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,11,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 011111110 01011101 1111101010 11010111 11001010 110001001 1111001110 11111111 11011110 11100101 010101010 11110001 110100010 01010101 101111010 10110101 111001010 10011111 111001010 01011101 010001010 111100101 010101010 11000101 111101010 01110101 111101010 01010111 111111010 11010011 111111010 01110101 010001010 01110101 111111010 11010101 110111110 01111101 111111110 11010001 111100110 01000101 111111110 01011101 111111110 110001101
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 202
- Average number of words per stanza: 39
- Amount of lines: 46
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, my, i, ghost are repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Before I Knocked;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Dylan Thomas
- Analysis of Especially When The October Wind
- Analysis of A Letter To My Aunt
- Analysis of A Refusal To Mourn The Death, By Fire, Of A Child In London