This is an analysis of the poem The False Friends that begins with:
They laid their hands upon my head,
They stroked my cheek and brow;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab aXaX bcbc dede
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11110111 111111 11110111 111101 11010011 110011 11110101 0101100 110010111 111011 11001101 010101 11110101 110101 11110101 011111
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 124
- Average number of words per stanza: 25
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 30 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; they, and, to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words they, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The False Friends;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.